One of the goals of the Australian Government is to provide a safe, enjoyable, and worthwhile study experience. In fact the government has truly given so much effort in maintaining the quality of education and protecting the consumer rights of international students that they have crafted the Education Services for Overseas or ESOS Act 2000 and the National Code 2018 for this purpose.
The ESOS framework is the standard Australian education providers obey when offering education services to international students. It requires education providers to equip students with the proper information about studying in the school or the course. The services that must be upheld by Australian education providers are:
- Proper orientation for students about the school and the course requirements.
- Access to adequate support services that could help them study properly and adjust to life in Australia
- Provide information on the contact officer or officers for overseas students
- Information about the eligibility of the student for the course credit.
- Grounds for when your enrolment can be deferred, suspended or cancelled
- Information about the school’s complaints and appeals process.
PROTECTION FOR OVERSEAS STUDENTS:
International students that are on a student visa must choose a course and education provider that can be found on the Commonwealth Register of Institutions and Courses for Overseas Students or CRICOS. Registering with CRICOS ensures that the course and education provider meets the high standards of quality for overseas students, which is why it is important for students to check the details of the course and the location of the school matches CRICOS.
The ESOS framework protects your rights, including:
- You have the right to receive current and accurate information about the courses, fees, study modes and other information from the education provider before enrolling. If you are under 18 years of age you will only be granted a visa if there are lodging arrangements and adequate support of your welfare.
- You maintain the right to sign a written agreement with your provider before or as you set out the services to be provided, paying of fees, and imparting information about refunds of the course money. It is important for you to keep a copy of the written agreement.
- You are entitled to get the quality of education you paid for since the ESOS framework ensures consumer protection, which allows you to receive a refund or to be placed in another course if the education provider failed to uphold their advertised services to you.
For more information about the ESOS Framework, please download the ESOS Factsheet